We build Digital Horticulture systems to help growers provide healthy, sustainable fresh produce for everyone.
Fresh produce isn't as fresh, or delicious, as it used to be. Why is that? Simply put, food tastes the way it does because of how it is grown. The way humans grow and distribute food today - the industrialized agricultural system - evolved in order to feed all 7 billion of us. While successful in the 20th century, we are learning more every day about how this system is economically, environmentally, and socially harmful in ways humanity could not have predicted.
- Lots of our fresh produce isn't grown for taste or nutrition first - it's grown to survive a long journey across the country.
- During that journey, up to 40% of fresh produce is lost to spoil or waste. Much of this happens from your fridge to your trashcan - maybe it isn't good, maybe it went bad.
- Back on the farm, growers rely on intense water, energy, and chemical use just to grow enough product to make a profit. This exacerbates environmental problems like extreme drought, ocean nitrification, chemical leaching, and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Growers also face massive labor challenges. Lots of hard work is needed to cultivate and harvest, meaning high costs... yet at the same time, growers are criticized for exploiting their workers, and exposing them to unsafe working conditions. Nobody wins.
- On top of all this, growers are facing existential threats like drought, changing climate patterns, immigration reform, and trade conflicts.
“We want to be seen as the 'beating heart' of a grower's operations.”
— eric adamson, co-founder
The Problem, deepened
Not only are these problems alarming, but they are only getting worse. As climate change alters weather patterns, extreme weather will disrupt humanity's fragile systems of production and make it difficult to rely on food supplies. Chemical over-reliance is already leading to stagnating yields, as our soil doesn't retain the nutrients needed to grow healthy produce. And there are more and more people on the planet every day, each of whom deserves access to nutritious food.
Tortuga AgTech's mission is to build a healthier society, and a thriving ecosystem, through smarter farming. To do this, we want to enable growers to sell better produce - unique, tasty, nutritious food, grown within hours of your plate. No nasty chemicals. 90% less water use. No exploited workers.
We're doing this by building Digital Horticulture systems, made up of powerful technology like robotics, automation, and precision data analytics and machine learning. These systems will enable advanced growing methods to compete with scale agriculture, which means growers will be able to grow better produce that's also better for the planet.
The automation of picking, packing, and trimming will reduce significantly the manual labor hours needed to grow produce. It will also increase yields through denser layouts and optimized grow conditions. And, we'll help create full-time local technical jobs as well. And we do all of that while providing fresher, healthier, and more sustainable produce to the humans living near our grower customers' operations.